There are 4 reasons why I’m blogging.
- I want to communicate and flesh out The Three Simple Steps and help people use them.
- I want to document the writing of The Three Simple Steps book and the transformation of my life as I build a new company.
- I want to create a public accountability structure. I have heard from several sources that living life in public by blogging and vlogging is transformative.
- I want to build an audience that will benefit from the blog, buy and promote the book when it comes out and hire me to help them solve problems and create a great life.
The problem I am having is that I want to lay out things systematically as if I am writing a book. At the same time I want to declare my goals publicly and start blogging about the actions I’m taking to reach those goals.
In other words I have a little bit of an internal conflict about what to do next.
So here’s a principle to follow. When in doubt choose the path of action. Don’t wait to get it perfect.
So this is what I’m going to do. With this post I’m going to just lay out some short term goals. In the coming days I’ll circle back and blog about the process of creating goals and the thinking that went into what I’m currently committing to.
I’ve been putting this off because I want to get the goals “right.” Getting it “right” is the wrong thing to do and I know it. I’ll never get it “right.” There is no “right.”
I’ve also been putting this off because I plan to do it right here in publicly available pages of this blog. If I set a goal and don’t reach it I will be a failure and be embarrassed.
Again, this the wrong way to think about it. The exact opposite in fact. I am writing this blog to be accountable AND to inspire you to set big goals and make them public. The point is to be public about my purpose and my goals and about the process of setting goals and either reaching them or not.
Yes, failure is an option. In fact I want to fail a bit. I haven’t failed enough in life. I’ve played it safer than I should.
Between now and 2 weeks from now, September 6 (two days after Yogi’s Birthday) I will:
- Define metrics for The Three Simple Steps (see goal 2 below).
- Experiment with audio and video versions of this blog.
- Finish up the tech stuff on this blog (tags etc…)
- Create a nice landing page for www.thethreesimplesteps.com (don’t go there now!)
- Create a Facebook group for The Three Simple Steps.
Between now and 8 weeks from now (which happens to be the day before my birthday!) I will:
- Post a blog post (at least) 3 times a week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Build an audience of 1000 people for The Three Simple Steps (metrics to be defined later)
- Take on 15 clients.
- Publish my second Bobby Blinx novel: The Space Academy.
Note about goals. Goals should be as specific as possible and be measurable. “Lose weight” is not a great goal because you don’t know when you’ve reached it. “Lose 10 pounds by November 1st” is more useful.
PS Thanks for all the immediate feedback!!!